I am hooked on to “learning by listening”.
It began with my journey at Aarohi as part of weekly objective. Me and kids listened to various AUDIO stories. We explored that to work on “linguistic intelligence”. We understood that we can listen in various forms
- Listen for learning – Listen to gain knowledge. or to enhance existing knowledge or gain new information to learn.
- Listen to know structure – Understand structure of the language.
- Listen to understand – To be able to understand what is spoken. Make inferences. Grasp the information, Identify main ideas, comprehends and understands instructions.
The audio story Kardi, Hanuman and Monkey and crocodile became ALIVE when we listened without any visuals. We watched the video of “silent national anthem” to understand the emotions. We heard the poetry of Subhdra kumari chauham to understand the different style of literature writing.
I have never explored LISTENING in so many different forms.
KIDS SPEAK – Kids of different age(3 to 14) working with different goals, on the same objective, experiencing different learning.
- I listened to the style of the language. I listened to the new words and the sentence formation. I listened to the usage of words and placement of words in a sentence. I compared how I generally speak to what I was listening. I tried understanding the meaning of what I listened. I learned strategies to improve my expression of what I listened – write keywords and draw pictures. Now I listen with awareness – what am I listening, usage for words, listen without judging the person and the feeling and need of what the person is saying I listened to body language and sign language. I enjoyed listening.
- I listened to different audio to understand the style of literature. I listened to Theory of Evolution, Life story of Mathematician Ramujan, musical audio story of Jhansi ki Rani, The National Anthem in sign language, I listened to the feelings of the characters from an audio clip from the movie: Miracle worker, Drama by Shakespeare, Stories, Poetry by William wordsworth and Robert Frost and drew what i listened and i drew what i dint listen. While listening to various audio literatures i explored the style of language and words used. I also understood what i am listening, understood the concept/theory and gained knowledge listened to my peers without judgement.
- I carefully listened to the story to understand and get to know the words to learn Hindi. I listened to it carefully to write correct words – so when others can read. When I get to know about something, I get more interest and like to research more on it and read about it. I related the story of missing necklace with the incident of cycle theft in pink house. I consciously listening by focusing what someone is saying and asking clarifying questions. I was listening to peers, sometimes I was not listening – I tried talking, I listened to their needs and their perspectives.
- I listened to audio of Hindi story “four friends”. I noted down the new words in Hindi. After this I played Bingo game with my peer – he also listened to the same story and words. Later we called people on phone (who know Hindi) and asked the meaning of the words. I listened to the same story and wrote the same story in English but when you read it will be in Hindi. I enjoyed the book on Leonardo
- I used a new technique to listen in thoughts – I used drawing technique, Make drawings when someone is speaking. I learnt few words in Hindi by listening the story. I was listening when people told me to use material – I thought “let me follow them” and listening happened.
- I listened to few videos where people where sharing their thoughts about literature. I listened to people and tried to understand what is literature is all about. I listened to few stories and picked up few odd words.(Odd words are those words which u don’t use often).
- I listened to audio stories, which helped me to get new words fro my stories.
I used 3 words which I heard. I listened and I wrote the new words.